I've wished on my fair share of dandelions, but have come to find that luck and I just don't get along. The odds are always against me and that has always made my life quite interesting to say the least. My friends know me as a storyteller and look to me for entertaining stories of my day-to-day to experiences. I hope you enjoy learning about the "KP Curse"...

Friday, January 14, 2011

Reticent is not in my vocabulary.

It’s been a ‘hot minute’ since I last blogged… Shame on me! I have been too busy cleaning and fulfilling my Etsy addiction in my free time. So anyways… on with the blogging….

My co-worker, Lyle, who sits across from me, was out the week after Christmas and I had been out the week prior… so needless to say, we had a lot of catching up to do… Meaning, I had a lot to tell him because I am sure he feels slighted if he doesn’t know every detail of my life.. Ha Ha!

I was filling him in on all of the events of the holidays and showed him my surprise gift from Charles… a Nook Color! He was explaining to me that he didn’t feel he would enjoy such a gadget, as he tends to jump around while he’s reading a book… and no, I don’t mean physically jump as in doing jumping jacks, but as in he may read Chapter 1 and then skip over to Chapter 4 without ever going back… Now this seems a bit bizarre to me, but… whatever floats your boat. While trying to convince him of the usefulness of my Nook, I was showing him a rather amazing feature that will most certainly enhance my vocabulary over time… And let me tell you that there is a TON of room for improvement! You can click on a word with your finger and choose the “look up” option and the definition just pops right up on your screen… Genius!

I used one of the words I had learned that morning as an example… the word was Reticent

RETICENT

1: inclined to be silent or uncommunicative in speech: reserved

2: restrained in expression, presentation, or appearance

I told Lyle the word and proceeded to show off that I now know the definition… Boy did I set myself up.. Lyle suddenly had a big, devilish smile across his face and mumbled something.. It took me a moment before I realized that he had said, “Of course that word wouldn’t be in your vocabulary…” Now that was funny!

Lyle and I just become office neighbors in the Fall of this year. Previously, no one sat across from me, so I had no one to chat with unless I got up and walked around. Now, I can just talk loudly and he can hear me while we are both still sitting at our desks! A couple of weeks ago I was explaining to Lyle that it is so nice to finally have someone across from me to talk to and his response was, “You must be making up for lost time..” Wow! Another good one.

I have known Lyle for 6 years and I think it is quite obvious that he is all too familiar with my loquacious nature. There’s a new word for ya! And for those of you who know me… I’m not telling you anything new. If I sit at a table and no one is talking, I am going to be the one to comment on the fact that it is quiet, because I would rather talk about the obvious than sit there in silence, because silence is my enemy! So if you have a headache, or are looking for peace and quiet, then stay far away from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment