I've wished on my fair share of dandelions, but have come to find that luck and I just don't get along. The odds are always against me and that has always made my life quite interesting to say the least. My friends know me as a storyteller and look to me for entertaining stories of my day-to-day to experiences. I hope you enjoy learning about the "KP Curse"...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Always trying to make a buck...

Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to make money. I loved having my own money to spend on whatever I chose and to this day that is still the case, and I still like to see how far I can take every dollar....

When I was about 8 or 9 years old and living in the city of Lynchburg, VA, my mom worked (and is still working) as a customer service manager at Food Lion. One day while she was at work, I decided that I needed to make some money... So.. I walked around the neighborhood trying to sell my GoGo Pup. My mom had just given me the toy about 6 months prior, but I really needed the money (ha). I have no idea what I thought I so desperately needed to buy... maybe it was just the thrill of making a sale! And I did, indeed, make a sale and I was SO proud.. I made a whopping $5!!! The toy cost at least $50, if not more...

My mom called at some point during the day to check on my brother and I... I then proceeded to inform her of my BIG sale. She responded that when she got home, she was going to spank me! Oh boy was I upset... I had never been spanked before...

I quickly ran over to my best friend's house across the street to ask for her help. I'm not sure where we got all of our materials, but I recall putting on a baby diaper and stuffing my pants with other miscellaneous items so that my spanking wouldn't hurt... I have always been risk averse... what else can I say?!? In case you are interested.. my mom did not spank me and all my effort was for nothing....

I haven't changed much, even though it is 20 years later... I still love making money and Craigslist made that possible over the past few years... I discovered that the things I considered "junk" were apparently valuable to someone else... For example, I sold a faux wood kitchen table that we had when I was a kid and that I used in my first years in DC.. Someone bought it for $75! Can you believe that? Someone obviously didn't do their research before making that purchase... When we moved into our current home and bought new appliances... Instead of having the delivery company take away my old appliances, I decided I would sell them! Oh.. what a headache!

Most of the time, things went fine... but one day this tiny Asian man showed up to take a look at my old, white gas range... He was driving a tiny little two-door white car. He came into my garage and looked at it.. tried to haggle with me a bit.. and then asked ME to help him put the range ON TOP of his car... Are you kidding me?!? This guy was out of his mind... When I told him I wouldn't do it, he flipped out and was pacing through my garage and in the process brushed up against one of Charles' paintings that was still wet. I then lost my temper, had to raise my voice and force the man to leave... Oh what a disaster... I would have preferred a spanking from my mom for sure :)

Needless to say... I still seek out ways of making a buck... I'm hoping to develop some sort of crafty skill so that I can sell things on my favorite site... Etsy! I'm sure it will likely result in yet another FAIL.... One day I will learn my lesson!

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA ... Oh my goodness, my best friend and I were ALWAYS trying to make $$ and sell things to our neighbors growing up. I even went door to door and offered to paint nails and braid hair. We were convinced we were going to save all our money to buy horses! We even thought her backyard was big enough to keep the courses. hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete